Pages

Monday, September 27, 2010

Maker - Wearer - Viewer - Naomi Stewart (Guest Blog Post)

MAKING

Naomi Stewart, cry-santhemum neckpieces, 2010, sterling silver

The latest thing to come off my bench was a pair of small sterling silver earrings made on commission (my first “real” commission!). Over the last few months I have been working on a range of delicate hand-carved and cast sterling silver pieces, and the earrings were to accompany a blackened silver necklace I had made previously.

WEARING

Favorite earrings: Unknown maker, ceramic, sterling silver

Today I am wearing a pair of earrings borrowed from my darling older sister. They are fairly simple oval drops: white ceramic (I think), with beautiful red detailing that is reminiscent of Japanese kimono fabric. I adore these earrings, and am not sure whether my sister will ever get them back!

VIEWING

Kitty Kantilla, Untitled, 2001, natural earth pigments on canvas, 96 x 86cm
(photo courtesy of Sotheby’s catalogue, Sydney 2003)

Since April I have been working (unexpectedly) in an environment surrounded by contemporary Indigenous Australian art. I can happily acknowledge that I was completely ignorant of the deeply moving works in painting, sculpture and prints that are emerging (and have been emerging for a long time) from the remote Aboriginal communities of Australia. I am grateful for the opportunity I was given to learn about the art and to hear the stories of the artists behind the works - both have been a source of inspiration that I am only just beginning to appreciate.

-----------

Thanks Naomi, and good luck with your show 'Cast Off' which opens next week.


CAST OFF: contemporary jewellery exhibition

22 contemporary jewellers from Australia 
and New Zealand explore traditional and 
non-traditional casting techniques
in this exhibition of recent work. 
7 - 19 October 2010  
Keeper Gallery @ gaffa

2 comments:

kendal croix. said...

those necklaces are just so perfect.

Herry Johnson said...

Brinkhaus Jewelers is organized in Claremont (Perth) in Western Australia. For a long time, Brinkhaus Jewelers has been fulfilled to give stunning pearls, freely shaped and hand-made by our on region expert goldsmiths. Planned in the boutique, our open-thought workshop offers our demographic a noteworthy look at our goldsmiths at work. Here are open Designer Jewelry Perth Brinkhaus Jewelers, carefully gathered Designer Jewelry, online extravagance pearls, significant stones wedding bands Perth, diamonds engagement rings perth, upgrades designers in Perth, precious stones coordinators, custom profitable stone pearls and important stone ring graphs.

Post a Comment